For purposes of this Policy, “Personal Information” is any information that identifies, related to, or describes, directly or indirectly, an individual or household. In the course of operating our Services and delivering our products and services, we collect and process categories of Personal Information described below. We use this information for typical business and commercial purposes (including compliance with legal obligations and use for auditing, security, and anti-fraud purposes) and as described more specifically below.
Sensitive Data and Automated Decision-Making: At this time, Urban One does not knowingly try to gather sensitive categories of data about individual users or engage in profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning individuals users.
Information You Give Us. When you interact with us in person (including at live events) or use the Urban One Services, we may collect and store Personal Information you provide, including:
- Personal Identifiers. We receive personal identifiers (such as your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, social media identifiers, user account details, and similar identifiers) and use them to respond to and complete your requests, fulfill your orders for products and services (e.g., signing you up for email lists, enrolling in the One VIP debit card or purchasing tickets), and to communicate with you for informational purposes (including sending you order confirmations, notices, updates, invoices, and security alerts) and marketing purposes (including sending you news, promotions, special offers, information, information about a station text club you enrolled in or to offer you other products and services that may be of interest to you). We may also use this information to communicate with you about sweepstakes or contests, or to process and deliver sweepstakes/contest entries, correspondence, and prizes. We may also create internal identification and reference codes to identify you in our electronic systems. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications or update your preferences (see “Your Rights and Opt-Out Choices,” below).
- Communications and Submissions You Send Us. We collect the information and content you submit through contact, enrollment, sign-up, survey, and purchase forms, through your posts and interactions on social media platforms, and through email and telephone communications and other submissions to us through our Services (including product and service reviews, social media interactions, enrollment in text clubs and responses to text club communications, contest and sweepstakes entry submissions, and service requests). We use this information to respond to and fulfill your requests, establish and manage our customer relations and customer service, and to provide and improve our websites, products, and services.
- Commercial Information. We collect and generate commercial information and transaction information (such as records of products and services purchased on our websites, services you have enrolled in and purchases made using the One VIP debit card). We use this information to respond to and fulfill orders, improve our product and service offerings, communicate with you and with service provides, tailor our marketing efforts, and for internal reporting purposes.
- Inferences From the Information Listed Above. We will use the information listed above to draw inferences about your preferences and characteristics to help us provide you with personalized content and offers and help us develop and provide better products and services.
- BlackPlanet Account Information and Social Posts. If you are a BlackPlanet user, you may need to provide certain basic details in order to set up your account (including things like your name, gender, and birth date). You may also choose to provide additional information about yourself, your personality, lifestyle, and interests when setting up your profile and interacting over BlackPlanet. If you choose to share information on BlackPlanet that may be “special” or “sensitive”—for example, information about your ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs—you consent to our processing that information. BlackPlanet is a public place where information you post may be accessed and used by others (including possibly by non-users) for their own purposes. Information you choose to post on BlackPlanet (including information in your public profile) is public; you post it at your sole risk. Please exercise caution and common sense in deciding what to share on BlackPlanet and in communicating with other users. If you don’t want something to be public, don’t share it with others because neither you nor we can control what other users choose to do with it.
- Audio and Visual Information. If you choose to share audiovisual content like photos or videos with us through our Services, we may collect that content. We may also record customer service telephone calls for quality purposes and to meet our legal obligations. If you choose to share videos or photos over BlackPlanet or elsewhere on our Services, you may need to allow us to access your camera or photo albums for that purpose.
- Privacy Choices. We receive and retain any opt-outs or other choices related to how we collect, us, and disclose Personal Information.
Information Third Parties Provide About You. We may, from time to time, supplement the information we collect about you online with outside records from third parties in order to enhance our ability to serve you, to tailor our content to you and to offer you opportunities to purchase products or services that we believe may be of interest to you. These third party sources include:
- Social Networks and Publicly Available Data. If you log on to the Urban One Services using a third party social media account (e.g., Facebook or Google), or if you interact with us through a social media function such as a plug-in (e.g., a Facebook “like” button) then you may be permitting us to have ongoing access to some information from your social network profile (such as your name, email address, your friend list, photo, age, gender, location, birthday, social networking ID, current city, and the people/sites you follow).
- Information That Is Collected from Marketing Partners, Data Providers and Ad Networks. We may collect information about you from marketing partners data providers, and ad networks, including but not limited to, personal identifiers, commercial information, and generally available information that helps us offer you products and services we think may interest you.
- Information Collected from Affiliates. We may collect information about you from Urban One affiliates’ websites, apps, and other places where we show you ads. We may collect information from these services such as personal identifiers, commercial information, and other generally available information.
- Information Other Users Provide about You. Other users may provide us your personal identifiers (such as your email address) or other information in order to invite you to use the Urban One Services or share an article or other content from the Urban One Services with you. In this case, we will only use the information for the purposes for which it was provided.
- Events. We may collect information about you from third parties that hold events on our behalf which you may attend or participate in. Such information may include personal identifiers and commercial information.
- Other Information We Collect. We also may collect other information about you, your device, or your use of the services in ways that we describe to you at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent. You may choose not to provide us with certain types of information, but doing so may affect your ability to use some of the Urban One Services.
Information We Get from Your Use of The Urban One Services. We collect information about the Urban One Services that you use and how you use them, like when you watch a video, view TV One through your television provider, open one of our newsletters, interact with us and other users over BlackPlanet, use the One VIP debit card to make purchases, or view and interact with our ads and content (collectively, “Usage Information”). We use this information to provide and improve our products and services, tailor your experience on and across our websites, apps, and other services, tailor our marketing efforts, and to create aggregate internal reports on website usage and activity, such as views of certain pages and content. Usage Information includes:
- Device Information. We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information, including phone number).
- Browsing Information. This includes the URL that referred you to the Urban One Services, the areas within the Urban One Services that you visit, how long you spend on the Urban One Services, and the time of day of your visit.
- IP Address. An IP address is a string of numbers associated with the device you use to access the Internet, which may be used to identify and locate your network location or to infer your general location (e.g.zip code or state).
- Inferences from the information listed above. We may use the information listed above to draw inferences about your preferences and characteristics to help us provide you with personalized content and offers and help us develop and provide better products and services.
Automatic Collection of Information from Cookies and Other Technology. We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit the Urban One Services, which we use for the same purposes as Usage Information and to help us understand and improve the usage of our websites and emails. This automatic information collection may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device:
- Cookies. A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
- Mobile Identifiers. We may use software development kits (“SDKs”) or mobile advertising identifiers (i.e., IDFA on Apple mobile devices or Advertising ID on Android mobile devices), which function similarly to cookies on mobile devices. You may reset your IDFA or Advertising ID in the settings on your mobile device.
- Web Beacons. Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons (also known as “1×1 GIFs,” “one pixel GIFs,” or “clear GIFs”) may be included in our web pages and e-mail messages. Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into a web page or e-mail can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including, without limitation, to count visitors to the Urban One Services, to monitor how users navigate the Urban One Services, to make cookies more effective, to count how many e-mails that were sent were actually opened or to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
** Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, and how to disable existing cookies. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, or restrict the categories of cookies you wish to accept, you can consult the information at www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/.
Please note that rejecting cookies does not mean that you will no longer see ads when you visit the Urban One Services. Please note, however, that without cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the Urban One Services and some parts of the Urban One Services may not function properly.
Anonymous or Aggregated Information. We de-identify or aggregate data we receive and may use and disclose it for any business purpose.
Note Regarding Retention of Personal Information Collected Online. Urban One uses the following business and legal criteria in determining whether it may reasonably retain Personal Information and related records collected online (e.g., websites and mobile devices, online platforms, and user interactions with our advertisements): (i) applicable laws (including those mandating retention data and records for certain periods of time); (ii) the existence of an applicable legal hold or other substantial need to protect and defend the rights of Urban One, you, or any third party; (iii) our ongoing assessment of the currency of the data, the need to retain it in order to fulfil a contract or other agreement, or to meet our specific business requirements (including maintenance and improvement of any online Services); and (iv) our balancing of reasonable risk considerations related to the ongoing retention and use of specific categories of data.